Holy Trinity Lutheran Church began as Zion Lutheran Church, and English Lutheran Church. The first service was help May 29, 1898 in the Swedish Lutheran Church at 16th and Grove Streets; the Rev. A.J. Reichart officiated. The church was formally organized on January 6, 1899 with 20 charter members, and was supported as a mission congregation by the Chicago synod.
The church went through times of growth and of struggle. On July 1, 1928, the newly ordained Rev. Henry C. Stolldorf was installed as pastor, and the membership grew to 418. In December 1958, a 5.5 acres site on an orchard-covered hill of 21st Street was purchased, and then the home at 1003 N. 21st Street was purchased as a parsonage, increasing the site to 7.5 acres. August 26, 1962 saw the groundbreaking and laying of the cornerstone for the current building. In 1970, air-conditioning was added, and in 1988 the tracker organ was designed and installed by the Martin Ott company, and the construction of the education wing was completed. Rev. Stolldorf retired in 1971, and was honored with the title of Pastor Emeritus.
In 1971, the Rev. Jacob H. Hoffman was called to Holy Trinity and served until his retirement in October 2002, when he was honored with the title Pastor Emeritus.
The congregation was served by Interim Pastor Frederick R. Jordan until March 31, 2008.
The Rev. David M. Doane was installed as pastor on October 12, 2008. Pastor Doane completed his call at Holy Trinity on November 8, 2020.
On March 6, 2022, the Rev. Elizabeth Lee was installed as Pastor.
Holy Trinity was built upon--and continues to grow with-- a rich tradition of worship, music, fellowship, teaching, learning, outreach, and stewardship. We build on our past, as we eagerly look to the future in God's service.